Tuesday, March 10, 2009

cha cha, cha cha, cha chaaaa.

Seriously, are any of you listening to Jens Lekman yet? HE IS SETTING MY HEART ON FIRE!
I went to Stockholm last weekend. It is SO beautiful there. The landscapes, and especially the people. Jens was especially enchanting to listen to there, as he is Swedish. I seriously don't know how I got to be so lucky as to have this opportunity. Back home, I went to my parent's house for the weekend. Here, I actually LIVE in Amsterdam, and plan weekend trips to Belgium, Sweden, Spain, England, Ireland, Italy, Germany...the possibilities are endless!
Arriving by train back into Amsterdam after a few days away always gives me butterflies. I honestly think I am in love. In love with people, with places, with how I feel. I embrace walking out of Centraal Station into a light mist and overcast skies. Even though my bike is a piece of shit, I am starting to love it. The weather gets a little better with each passing day. The only Starbucks is in the Schipol Airport. The soup kitchens are precious. Buying a herring sandwich at a stand in the middle of a square is a must. HOT CHOCOLATE. The fashion (THE SALES). People watching. All of the different cultures all packed into the city. Amsterdam is the most culturally diverse city in the world. One minute you're walking down a typically Dutch street, then the next you are surrounded by Caribbean influence. Coffee houses and "coffee shops", I love you both. Going to the zoo stoned. Endless parties...every night. Sexy European men. And above all, the strong sense of independence I have here. You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming away from this place.
sigh.

"Can you hear the beat of my heart?
Bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp!"

Sweden pictures soon!

2 comments:

cecil said...

my bike sucks too. i rode from my house in bayview all the way to golden gate park, and got a flat on the way back. thats a long long walk plus a long long bus ride.

anappleaday said...

haha BOOOO! Mine hasn't failed me yet, but it has an incredibly rattly fender. I have to bike over cobblestone, so it gets a bit loud.